christmas confessions

So, I have always been a bit Christmas-obessed. I just love this time of year, and everything Christmassy that is associated with it. (One year for Halloween, I dressed as a Christmas Elf. Another year, I was a Christmas present. You get the idea.) But, sometimes I think my expectations of the season are so high (or impractical) that I find myself disappointed here and there throughout the season if things werent just perfect. (However, when Brynn pulled down the tree and broke it and most of our ornaments last year, the week before I gave birth, some disappointment was justified.)

So, this year I have vowed to just enjoy the small moments of the season and be willing to let some things go if that is what it takes. And, so far it is really working! James wasnt able to hang our Christmas lights this year before leaving for China, and Im ok with it. I just dont think Im going to get around to sending out Christmas cards this year, and I think it will be ok. I really am just enjoying the season this year...not that I havent in the past, but Im liking the more carefree approach. Its new for me!

So far the best thing we have done this year is our new advent calendar, with a special activity each day. (THanks for the idea, Michelle!) The girls have been so excited to come down to the kitchen each morning and open their envelope. (I thought they would be missing the cheap chocolate countdown that we normally do, but I was pleasantly surprised.) Some of the activities we have already done: watch a Christmas movie with popcorn, paint christmas-colored fingernails and toenails (James is glad he was in China for that one!), go to the festival of trees, look at the constellations with Daddy...I have found myself eagerly anticipating these events as well. I just love this season, and I especially love experiencing it with my sweet family.

(I think I have mentioned this before, but my apostrophe key is broken on my keyboard. I cant stand people thinking that I dont know how to punctuate!)

3 comments:

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Thanks for your words about Christmas I really loved them.I really agree with you.

Los Smith said...

Thanks for the sweet reminder of what the holidays are all about :) Happy Holidays!!!

Jake and Shell said...

I love the carefree approach myself! No one seems to notice when the little stuff doesn't get done, but it is so stressful! Our kids are loving the new advent calendar also...today we made a chain for the tree out of pipe cleaners :)
We can't wait to see you guys tomorrow...it feels like it's been forever!!! :)