Reflections on being 9 months pregnant at Christmastime

This may seem like a rambling mess, but here goes...

Leading up to Christmas this year, I had mixed emotions about how smoothly everything would go. Having a Christmas baby certainly is a great blessing, and we are so grateful for it...it just changes the way I normally do Christmas. I am all about tradition: seeing lights, visiting festivals, walking the mall, fighting the crowds, last-minute gifts, etc. Typically for me, whose favorite time of year is Christmas, the more the better! I want the girls to have as many "Christmas-sy" experiences as possible so that it will always be their favorite time of year, too.

But, this year, after getting winded just going grocery shopping, I have had to scale back. And, it has turned out to be such a huge blessing and eye-opener for me. We didn't make it to the festival, we haven't walked around to see the lights...we haven't even made it to the mall! But, we have mae homemade ornaments and goodies, we've read new Christmas books, we have 3 different types of advent calendars keeping us busy first thing in the morning, we just sat and watched James put up the lights this afternoon: I have actually been able to savor Christmas more than I have often allowed myself to before. And, in only 2 1/2 weeks we are going to receive the best Christmas gift ever (which the girls are actually just as excited about as their material presents). This is what Christmas is supposed to be: a time to enjoy the small joys of being together and sharing in the wonder of the season. What a gift!

6 comments:

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

I think I know how you feel about having a baby this time of year.Three of my children were born at this time as well as myself, it is a special time to give birth. We wish you the very best as you have your new little girl.

Anonymous said...

My one baby was born on the 22nd...due on Christmas, but we got lucky! We've never really had a big problem with it, but we just always make sure his birthday is special for him and not a "combined" celebration or anything. We try to make sure others understand, too, so he doesn't get "jipped" out of his birthday! Your other two cute girls will love this Christmas, I'm sure!

Carrie said...

Isn't being big and pregnant around the holidays the best? I think so!

gammaeileen said...

You'll never regret it! (That's what I always say!)

Jake and Shell said...

Lisa, you are great! I'm not even pregnant and I haven't done any "Christmas-sy" things! I can't wait to watch the baby while you nap (or grocery shop, or watch tv, or NAP)! Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

Kimmy said...

I loved having Erin at Christmas. We came home from the hospital on the 23rd. She was the best Christmas present ever! The nurses wheeled her into my room after the c-section in a large Christmas stocking. To this day she talks about how she was "born in a stocking" and is the envy of all of her sisters (and that is the one she hangs up for Santa!)