Instacare...Again!

For those who haven't already heard the story, we had an interesting Saturday morning. Brynn and Abby were eating snacks and watching a show while I was in the kitchen (probably snacking myself!). Suddenly Brynn started crying. I went to ask what was wrong (since Abby wasn't obviously doing anything to her), and she said that she had stuck a craisin up her nose. I thought it was fairly funny at first, until I couldn't find the thing! First we tried blowing it out, but 2-year-olds just can't blow that hard. Our next attempt was to tweeze it out, which sent Brynn into hysterics. Then, my bright idea was to try to suck it out with a baby nose sucker (an aspirator?). However, I threw all of mine away a while ago since they tend to get nasty and I knew I'd get a new one with the new baby next month anyway. So, I called neighbor after neighbor (apparently not many are home in our neighborhood during the BYU game) until we finally tracked one down (thanks Krisanda and Jeff). That also didn't work and only made Brynn even more upset.

We weren't sure if we should just wait and see (James's idea) or take her to the instacare (my idea). But, after a sweet blessing and reading about all of the possible infection problems on the internet (already adding to my worry), I got my way. (Thanks, James.)

They were super nice at the instacare and assured me that this happens often (since I felt a bit stupid). After a thorough examination and several varied attempts, the doctor wasn't able to find it, either! She thinks that Brynn was so upset that she just inhaled it all the way down the back of her throat. Oh, well. At least we tried to do the right thing! I'm still convinced that my copay is worth the peace of mind, and Brynn was pretty excited to get a sticker and sucker out of the deal. Thank goodness for health insurance!

6 comments:

Jake and Shell said...

I'm glad you shared your story. And I'm glad there were no pictures of poor Brynn being probed with TWEEZERS...she IS a trooper! :) btw...yummy cookies!

The Tucketts said...

We were NOT watching the BYU game, how offensive :) I'm glad Brynn ended up being okay and sorry we weren't home to be good neighbors.

gammaeileen said...

It certainly isn't the first time this has happened! You may remember our story about Jake. (Hope Jake doesn't mind.) He apparently ingested some meatloaf via the nasal passage as well! ..Funny thing was, he was sent to the top of the line at the emergency room---in front of heart attacks and the like. One papoose board and 6-inch-long tweesers later, he was sent home. No sticker or sucker for him! ....Oh, yeah, he ws about 1 1/2 years old.....By the way, isn't it a little suspicious that James was involved in BOTH these incidents??!

gammaeileen said...

TweeZers. Sorry to all you English teachers. (Lisa) It was a typo.

Carrie said...

So little girls have emergencies too? Just different kinds than boys! Nice to know! I'm glad she's okay!

Bethany said...

We had Family pictures and I noticed your # on my caller ID and was going to call back but since there wasn't a message I left it alone! I am so sorry!

Alison did the same thing when she was 19 months old, only hers was the tiny squares of pepperoni from a frozen pizza, we couldn't even see it, but she would pull a face like it burned. I took her in and after 3 of us holding her down and tweezers they pulled out 1 and 1/2 pieces!! They said they got alot of things up the nose from jelly beans to buttons but never pepperoni!! I am glad Brynn is okay, we worried about Alison having the burning meat go into her sinus.
Next time you can try blowing in her mouthwhile plugging the good side of her nose, not to hard though.