Truman Madsen

Since hearing about the passing of Truman Madsen this week, I have been thinking a lot about his impact on my own life. We have always loved his books and talks, particularly on Joseph Smith and other prophets. He gave a spectacular talk about the temple with his wife at a BYU Women's Conference when I was on my mission. My mom mailed me a recording in France, and I felt such a spirit when I listened to it. (I still remember passing it around to other sisters in the mission...we all reaped the benefits of my thoughtful mom!)

When I was 21 at BYU and decided to serve a mission, Brother Madsen was my stake president (with Wendy Watson, now Nelson, as our stake relief society president...talk about spoiled!). He gave me my first temple recommend interview, and it was such a humbling, enlightening, incredible interview. I have felt a special love for him ever since. What a great man and servant of the Lord.

2 comments:

Amy and Ethan said...

I hadn't heard this yet! We also love his talks and books. Mom gave me a copy of the talk on the temple too -- I have listened to it several times. He gave me my first temple recommend interview before Ethan and I got married. It is a wonderful thing that, while he is gone, we still have his words to read and listen to.

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

Truman was one of the best and his books and talks will stand the test of time.You were lucky to have known him.Wendy Watson lived in my daughters ward so I knew her and love to hear her talks.